What is MLS?
The innovative and patented Multiwave Locked System Therapy Laser was developed in an effort to produce an efficient and simultaneous effect on pain, inflammation, and oedema, exceeding the limits of traditional LLLT (low power) and concerns of HP (high power) laser therapy. MLS technology delivers therapeutic wavelengths, 808nm (anti-oedemic and anti-inflammatory) and 905nm (analgesic), allowing a tissue penetration depth of 3-4 cm. An energetic synergy is created when delivering these wavelengths that produces greater anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects than either can produce on its own, while minimizing the risk of thermal damage. It is this unique combination and synchronization of continuous and pulsed emissions that characterizes MLS and distinguishes it from other Class IV lasers.
Unlike early-generation Class IV technology, MLS Laser Therapy has the capability to deliver controlled laser energy. This unique feature provides more accurate therapeutic dose delivery, which means consistent and repeatable results.
How does MLS work?
Laser therapy uses light to favour and accelerate the body’s natural healing processes. The laser beam is moved over the skin so that the light energy (photons) penetrates the tissue where it interacts with various molecules (chromophores) that cause different biological effects. It produces a photochemical, photothermal and photomechanical effect.
Primary Biological Effects
Direct transfer of energy to the biological sublayers (endogenous or exogenic chromophores).
- Enzymatic activation
- Increase in ATP production
- Modulation of cellular metabolism
- Effect on pain perception threshold
Photothermic interaction is based on the conversion of option radiation into thermal energy which, at a microscopic level, occurs through the inelastic encounter between excited molecules following the absorption of photons.
- Increase in circulation
- Increased supply of oxygen and nutrients
The absorption of energy involves the formation of mechanical waves.
- Production of an extracellular matrix (important in tissue repair & regeneration)
- Acceleration of lymphatic peristalsis
- Re-absorption of oedemas
- Reactivation of microcirculation
Secondary Biological Effects
Effects on Cells
- Increase in ATP synthesis
- Increase in the production of RNA
- Increase in cellular proliferation
- Induction of differentiation processes
- Release of growth factors (fibroblasts) and other substances
- Increase in the production of molecules of the extracellular matrix (fibroblasts & chondrocytes)
Effects on Tissue
- Modulation of the inflammatory processes
- Remodelling of the extracellular matrix
- Induction of lymphatic and vascular regeneration
- Stimulation of the endothelial function
- Reduction of the oedema re-absorption times
- Prevention against the formation of scar tissue and hyperkeratosis lesions
- Blocking of pain stimulus conduction
- Hyperaemia and “wash out” of the algogenic substances
- Increase in endorphin synthesis
- Pain threshold modulation
Anti-inflammatory and anti-oedema effect:
- Increase in the calibre and modulation of lymphatic and capillary vessel permeability
- Hyperaemia and “wash out” of the pro-inflammatory molecules
- Increase in the supply of nutrients, oxygen and growth factors
- Cellular function activation
- Modulation of cell proliferation and differentiation (e.g., nerve regeneration)
- Increase of matrix protein synthesis
- Reduction of scar tissue formation
What are benefits of MLS Laser Therapy?
MLS Laser Therapy is safe and effective, there are no known adverse effects. There is no pain or discomfort during the treatment.
- Rapid relief of pain without the use of addictive prescription painkillers
- Strong anti-inflammatory effect
- Non-surgical treatment
- No negative side effects
- Timely healing of sprains & strains
- Rapid recovery of the structural integrity of injured region
- Rapid resolution of swollen areas
- Immediate improvement of local blood circulation
- Rapid repair of superficial injuries, such as wounds and ulcers
How long does each treatment last?
Treatment varies generally from 5 to 10 minutes according to the pathology. The treatment time can change according to the patient’s characteristics and phototype, as well as the size of the treatment area.
What are the immediate effects of MLS Laser Therapy on the patient?
The effects on inflammation, oedema and pain can be felt from the very first application. Clinical studies have also demonstrated a 50% reduction in pain and inflammation already from the 4th or 5th application, with a notable improvement in the patient’s quality of life.
What are the contraindications?
Therapy using the system is contraindicated for those patients who:
- Have known sensitivity to the device
- Take anti-coagulants
- With haemorrhagic diathesis
- Are pregnant
- Suspected of carrying serious infectious disease and/or disease where heating of the tissue is contraindicated
- Have HIV positive history
- Are diabetic with neuropathy and poor blood circulation
- Have tumours
What if the treatment does not work?
Though the short-term effects are very good, the long-term benefits of this treatment may take up to three months. If, over this time, there is no improvement in your condition, then your podiatrist may offer you other treatment options.
If you have any questions or concerns about MLS Laser Therapy, please contact us on (01954) 718741 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).